1. Tiger WoodsGulfstream G550 – $53 million If someone mentions Golf, you immediately think of Tiger Woods. Whether it’s due to the frivolous lifestyle or great golfing career (82 PGA Wins and 15 Majors), we’ve all heard of him. Tiger owns the most expensive private jet out of all the golfers on this list. His $53 million Gulfstream 550 is definitely something to admire. It allows him to fly up to 19 passengers up to nearly 8000 miles away. With an approximate net worth of around 1 billion dollars, I think we can all agree that he deserves to own such a beautiful jet.
2. Phil MickelsonGulfstream V – $40 million Alongside Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson has helped shaped this era of golf. Since they are tied so closely together, it’s no surprise that they even have the same type of jet. Though Phil Mickelson’s jet isn’t as great, with a range of 7500 miles and the ability to carry 18 passengers it’s still a fantastic private jet. In-fact Gulfstream jets seem to be a fan favorite of golfers.
3. Ernie ElsGulfstream IV – $40 million As mentioned Gulfstreams are golf players favorites. Ernie Els backs this up with his Gulfstream IV. Despite it not being as good as a Gulfstream V, the IV is still a fantastic all-round jet and any golfer would be lucky to fly around in it.
4. Jack NicklausGulfstream III $37 million Jack Nicklaus, “The Golden Bear”, is another golfer that loves Gulfstreams and he’s mentioned many times that his Gulfstream III has been his favorite private jet of all time. Not only has he owned everything from Lears, Cessnas, Sabreliners, JetStars, and plenty of Gulfstreams, he’s also learned to fly these planes, and even helicopters.
5. Rory McIlroyBombardier Challenger 605 – $30 million In the absence of Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy has risen to fame as one of the top names to watch in golf. Of course, with his rise to fame comes his rise in wealth. Like any pro athlete he’s decided to shell out on a private jet to be able to get around faster and in style. His Bombardier Challenger 605 set him back a cool $30 million. However, he’s now able to take flight and go tour to tour with ease and luxury.
6. Sergio GarciaHawker 4000 – $23 million Golf is often limited to UK and USA players so it’s nice to see other nationalities being prominent in the game. Spain’s Sergio Garcia is a truly inspiring player and while his performance isn’t as impressive as some of the other players on this list, it’s nothing to be stifled at. Though his decisions in golf have been impressive, his private jet choice is somewhat questionable. While the Hawker 4000 is a great plane, it’s short production cycle shows just how unpopular and irregular it is.
7. Arnold PalmerCitation X – $23 million If you’re talking golf, the name Arnold Palmer has definitely come up. Depending on which generation you grew up in, you might know him as the original pro golfer. Though there were others before him, and others after, he’s the one that really made the sport stand out. He’s owned multiple private jets, and he’s previously said his Citation X was his favorite.
8. Payne StewartLearjet 35 – $5 million It’s somewhat sad to include Payne Stewart on this list. Unfortunately, this is because he crashed in his Learjet 35 in 1999. Two pilots and four passengers, including Stewart, boarded the Learjet 35 with an intended flight path from Orlando to Dallas. Things went very wrong, however, as the cabin lost pressure and everyone onboard suffered from oxygen deprivation. The plane veered far off course, crashing in South Dakota.
9. Greg NormanLockheed JetStar – $3 million Greg ‘The Shark’ Norman is a high profile golfer and an avid private jet enthusiast. He’s owned a whopping 7 jets including, a Gulfstream V and a G550. We told you that Gulfstreams were popular amongst golfers. His first jet was the Lockheed JetStar which is interestingly enough one of the first private jets to be produced too.
FAQsHere are some interesting facts and figures about private jets and golf
There are hundreds of athletes that own private jets. From race car drivers to NFL, and NBA champions, and even cyclists. Name a popular sport and chances are at least 1 contestant owns a private jet.
Approximately 20 pro golfers have private jets depending on the factors you take into your calculation. Additionally over 35 PGA Tour Ambassadors support and use NetJets for their private flying needs.
Yes, as we mention in this article he owns a Gulfstream G550.
Yes, Phi Mickelson has a private jet license and flies his private jet himself. Of course, when flying, he does have a co-pilot for safety measures.
Yes, as we mention in this article he owns a Bombardier Challenger 605.